`Mars may have a coastline like Greenland`
London: Early in its history, Mars may have
a cold glacier-rimmed ocean covering its northern lowlands and
its coastline may have resembled that of Greenland or Norway,
according to a new study.
Scientists who conducted computer simulations of the Red
Planet found that there was a big temperature difference
between its warmer equatorial regions and the much colder
poles four billion years ago.
As a result, they believe, any ocean in the northern
lowlands would have been near-freezing, the Daily Mail
Lead researcher Dr Alberto Fairen of NASA`s Ames Research
Centre at Moffett Field, California, said if at all a ocean
existed in the Red Planet, it must have been very cold.
The researchers believe that a wall of glaciers skirting
the ocean would have prevented the deposition of
phyllosilicates originating in the equatorial highlands.
The minerals are associated with liquid water. Previously
their absence in the Martian northern lowlands cast doubt on
previous speculation that an ocean existed there.
Dr Fairen said: "We conclude that inefficient heat
transport from the equator to the poles on early Mars, due to
the absence of Earth-like equator-to-pole oceans, resulted in
a steep latitudinal gradient of temperatures in both
hemispheres, with warmer mid and equatorial areas, and glacial
"As a consequence, if a northern ocean existed on early
Mars, it was very cold. Glaciers rimming a cold northern ocean
would have prevented a significant fluvial transport of
phyllosilicate-rich materials from the highlands into the
The study is published in the journal Nature Geoscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre