Monster `El Gordo` galaxy cluster weighs 3mn bn times the mass of our sun
Washington: Researchers have claimed that the largest known galaxy cluster in the distant universe, catalogued as ACT-CL J0102-4915, is 3 million billion times the mass of our sun.
Hubble data show the galaxy cluster, which is 9.7 billion light-years away from Earth, is roughly 43 percent more massive than earlier estimates.
The team used Hubble to measure how strongly the mass of the cluster warped space. Hubble`s high resolution allowed measurements of so-called "weak lensing," where the cluster`s immense gravity subtly distorts space like a funhouse mirror and warps images of background galaxies. The greater the warping, the more mass is locked up in the cluster.
"What I did is basically look at the shapes of the background galaxies that are farther away than the cluster itself," explained lead author James Jee of the University of California at Davis. "It`s given us an even stronger probability that this is really an amazing system very early in the universe." said
The immense size of El Gordo was first reported in January 2012. Astronomers estimated its mass based on observations made by NASA`s Chandra X-ray Observatory, and galaxy velocities measured by the European Southern Observatory`s Very Large Telescope array in Paranal, Chile. They were able to put together estimates of the cluster`s mass based on the motions of the galaxies moving inside the cluster and the temperatures of the hot gas between those galaxies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick