Monster `El Gordo` galaxy cluster weighs 3mn bn times the mass of our sun
Washington: Researchers have claimed that the largest known galaxy cluster in the distant universe, catalogued as ACT-CL J0102-4915, is 3 million billion times the mass of our sun.
Hubble data show the galaxy cluster, which is 9.7 billion light-years away from Earth, is roughly 43 percent more massive than earlier estimates.
The team used Hubble to measure how strongly the mass of the cluster warped space. Hubble`s high resolution allowed measurements of so-called "weak lensing," where the cluster`s immense gravity subtly distorts space like a funhouse mirror and warps images of background galaxies. The greater the warping, the more mass is locked up in the cluster.
"What I did is basically look at the shapes of the background galaxies that are farther away than the cluster itself," explained lead author James Jee of the University of California at Davis. "It`s given us an even stronger probability that this is really an amazing system very early in the universe." said
The immense size of El Gordo was first reported in January 2012. Astronomers estimated its mass based on observations made by NASA`s Chandra X-ray Observatory, and galaxy velocities measured by the European Southern Observatory`s Very Large Telescope array in Paranal, Chile. They were able to put together estimates of the cluster`s mass based on the motions of the galaxies moving inside the cluster and the temperatures of the hot gas between those galaxies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach