Planets around cooling stars may not support life
Washington: No terrestrial, or Earth-like planets have yet been confirmed orbiting white or brown dwarfs, but a new research suggests such planets if exist will prove poor candidates for life.
White dwarves are the hot cores of dead stars and brown dwarfs are failed stars, objects not massive enough to start nuclear burning as the sun does.
In theory, both can be bright enough to theoretically support a habitable zone — that swath of space just right for an orbiting planet`s surface water to be in liquid form, thus giving life a chance.
The inner edge of that just-right zone is where a planet starts to become a runaway greenhouse, such as Venus. That heating phenomenon removes the planet`s surface water and all chance of life — of habitability — is forever lost.
White and brown dwarfs share a common characteristic that sets them apart from normal stars like the sun: They slowly cool and become less luminous over time. And as they cool, their habitable zones gradually shrink inward. Thus, a planet that is found in the center of the habitable zone today must previously have spent time near the zone`s deadly inner edge.
Because of their past, such planet would “face a difficult path to habitability,” even if they`re discovered right in that habitable zone, said Rory Barnes of the University of Washington, who conducted the new study with Rene Heller of Germany`s Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam.
Call it a sort of cosmic background check, revealing that the worlds probably lost the means to host life long before they became habitable zone residents.
“These planets, if we find them today in a current habitable zone, previously had to have gone through a phase which sterilized them forever,” Barnes said.
Heller added, “So, even if they are located in the habitable zone today, they are dead.”
A paper describing their study was published in November in the journal Astrobiology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Uber and Ola accused by Karnataka of violating rules, vehicles seized
- Will free jailed Pakistan doctor who tracked Osama bin Laden: Donald Trump
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum