Sunita Williams to start her India trip on April 1
New Delhi: Indian American astronaut Sunita Williams, who holds the world record for the longest spaceflight by a female astronaut, will start her India trip on April 1 from the national capital.
Williams will visit the National Science Centre (NSC) in the national capital on April 1 and interact with students and teachers.
"The centre will host Sunita L. Williams (Captain, US Navy) and NASA astronaut on April 1. She will be interacting with a select group of students and teachers," an official of the NSC said.
The astronaut will next fly to Mumbai and spend April 3-4 in the financial capital, before going to Gujarat.
Her father is from Gujarat`s Mehsana district.
In Mumbai, she will visit a working women`s hostel managed by the Indian Council of Social Welfare in Chembur and talk to residents and students.
She will hold another interactive session with school children at the Nehru Science Centre in Worli.
Her final destination in India would be Gujarat, where she is expected to meet relatives and pay a visit to her ancestral village.
Williams, who was bestowed an honorary doctorate degree by the Gujarat Technical University, will address students there.
Williams last visited India in Oct 2007, when she gave a talk at the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai.
Williams holds the world record with 50 hours and 40 minutes for total cumulative spacewalk time by a female astronaut.
In addition, she has spent a total of 322 days in space (on two missions) and now ranks sixth on the US endurance list and second for a female astronaut.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!