Sunita Williams to start her India trip on April 1
New Delhi: Indian American astronaut Sunita Williams, who holds the world record for the longest spaceflight by a female astronaut, will start her India trip on April 1 from the national capital.
Williams will visit the National Science Centre (NSC) in the national capital on April 1 and interact with students and teachers.
"The centre will host Sunita L. Williams (Captain, US Navy) and NASA astronaut on April 1. She will be interacting with a select group of students and teachers," an official of the NSC said.
The astronaut will next fly to Mumbai and spend April 3-4 in the financial capital, before going to Gujarat.
Her father is from Gujarat`s Mehsana district.
In Mumbai, she will visit a working women`s hostel managed by the Indian Council of Social Welfare in Chembur and talk to residents and students.
She will hold another interactive session with school children at the Nehru Science Centre in Worli.
Her final destination in India would be Gujarat, where she is expected to meet relatives and pay a visit to her ancestral village.
Williams, who was bestowed an honorary doctorate degree by the Gujarat Technical University, will address students there.
Williams last visited India in Oct 2007, when she gave a talk at the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai.
Williams holds the world record with 50 hours and 40 minutes for total cumulative spacewalk time by a female astronaut.
In addition, she has spent a total of 322 days in space (on two missions) and now ranks sixth on the US endurance list and second for a female astronaut.
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Forest fires threaten to wipe out 1,500 villages in Uttarakhand, NDRF, IAF step in to mitigate crisis, govt issues alert
- World's richest temple mulls moving 7.5 tonne gold under monetisation scheme
- Six-year-old falls in borewell in Maharashtra, rescue operation on
- Want FIR against guilty before further probe on Adarsh Society scam: BJP
- Beware, women! Stress can worsen HPV infection