Water on Moon may have originated on Earth
London: Water found in ancient rocks on Moon may have actually originated on the early Earth and even survived the lunar-forming collision event, a new study suggests.
The Moon, including its interior, is believed to be much wetter than was envisaged during the Apollo mission era.
The study by Jessica Barnes and colleagues at The Open University, UK, investigated the amount of water present in the mineral apatite, a calcium phosphate mineral found in samples of the ancient lunar crust.
"These are some of the oldest rocks we have from the Moon and are much older than the oldest rocks found on Earth, said Barnes.
"The antiquity of these rocks make them the most appropriate samples for trying to understand the water content of the Moon soon after it formed about 4.5 billion years ago and for unravelling where in the Solar System that water came from," Barnes said.
Researchers found that the ancient lunar rocks contain appreciable amounts of water locked into the crystal structure of apatite.
They also measured the hydrogen isotopic signature of the water in these lunar rocks to identify the potential source(s) for the water.
"The water locked into the mineral apatite in the Moon rocks studied has an isotopic signature very similar to that of the Earth and some carbonaceous chondrite meteorites," said Barnes.
"The remarkable consistency between the hydrogen composition of lunar samples and water-reservoirs of the Earth strongly suggests that there is a common origin for water in the Earth-Moon system," said Barnes.
Latest research into the amount of water within lunar rocks returned during the Apollo missions was presented by Barnes at the European Planetary Science Congress in London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you