100 boats damaged, rooftops blown away in storm
Rameswaram: About 100 mechanised boats
anchored along the coast here were damaged and rooftops of
many houses blown away in 80 km strong winds and heavy rain
that lashed the town.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Training, Xavier told
reporters after visiting the area last night that the boats
had been smashed to pieces as they were tossed about by the
wind and rough seas.
"Each boat costs Rs 10 lakh and it will cost about Rs
four lakh to repair them," he said.
The Fishermen Association President Yesurajan said it was
a double blow for them as they were still mourning the death
of four fishermen, allegedly killed by Sri Lankan naval
personnel and whose bodies were found recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA