100 boats damaged, rooftops blown away in storm
Rameswaram: About 100 mechanised boats
anchored along the coast here were damaged and rooftops of
many houses blown away in 80 km strong winds and heavy rain
that lashed the town.
Assistant Director of Fisheries Training, Xavier told
reporters after visiting the area last night that the boats
had been smashed to pieces as they were tossed about by the
wind and rough seas.
"Each boat costs Rs 10 lakh and it will cost about Rs
four lakh to repair them," he said.
The Fishermen Association President Yesurajan said it was
a double blow for them as they were still mourning the death
of four fishermen, allegedly killed by Sri Lankan naval
personnel and whose bodies were found recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list