1,958 CPI(M) workers held in Madurai city, Namakkal district
Madurai: A total of 1,958 CPI(M) cadres, including former MLA Nanmaran, were arrested here and in Namakkal district on Friday for blocking vehicular traffic, demanding food security, distribution of surplus land by implementing Land ceiling act, distribution house site pattas.
While 738 cadres were arrested in Madurai, 1,220 workers were arrested from 27 areas in Namakkal district, police said
In Madurai, the cadres including P Sampath (Central Committee member) blocked traffic at five places as part of their `Jail Bharo" (fill the jails) programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?