80 persons arrested over temple idol issue
Udhagamandalam: About 80 persons, including some from various Hindu outfits, were arrested Thursday when they staged a road roko, protesting against removal of an idol kept on the premises of a temple at nearby Masinagudi by officials.
Police said the forest department had asked the villagers not to install any idol on the premises of the temple, functioning under a huge tree for the last several years, as the area comes under the Core Zone of the forest in Mudumalai Tiger Reserve (MTR).
However, some persons kept the idol two days ago and officials, aided by police and MTR officials removed it and handed it over to forest department, they said.
Protesting against the action, around 80 persons, including those belonging to Hindu Munnani, VHP and RSS squatted on the main road, about 40 KMs from here, disrupting traffic for nearly two hours, they said.
All of them were arrested and traffic was cleared, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000