80 persons arrested over temple idol issue
Udhagamandalam: About 80 persons, including some from various Hindu outfits, were arrested Thursday when they staged a road roko, protesting against removal of an idol kept on the premises of a temple at nearby Masinagudi by officials.
Police said the forest department had asked the villagers not to install any idol on the premises of the temple, functioning under a huge tree for the last several years, as the area comes under the Core Zone of the forest in Mudumalai Tiger Reserve (MTR).
However, some persons kept the idol two days ago and officials, aided by police and MTR officials removed it and handed it over to forest department, they said.
Protesting against the action, around 80 persons, including those belonging to Hindu Munnani, VHP and RSS squatted on the main road, about 40 KMs from here, disrupting traffic for nearly two hours, they said.
All of them were arrested and traffic was cleared, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls