80 persons arrested over temple idol issue
Udhagamandalam: About 80 persons, including some from various Hindu outfits, were arrested Thursday when they staged a road roko, protesting against removal of an idol kept on the premises of a temple at nearby Masinagudi by officials.
Police said the forest department had asked the villagers not to install any idol on the premises of the temple, functioning under a huge tree for the last several years, as the area comes under the Core Zone of the forest in Mudumalai Tiger Reserve (MTR).
However, some persons kept the idol two days ago and officials, aided by police and MTR officials removed it and handed it over to forest department, they said.
Protesting against the action, around 80 persons, including those belonging to Hindu Munnani, VHP and RSS squatted on the main road, about 40 KMs from here, disrupting traffic for nearly two hours, they said.
All of them were arrested and traffic was cleared, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice