9 TN fishermen detained by Lankan Navy, let off
Rameswaram: Nine fishermen from Tamil Nadu were set free by Sri Lankan authorities on Saturday within hours of being detained by the island Navy off Dhanushkodi near here, officials said.
The fishermen were fishing in Indian waters when the Sri Lankan naval men allegedly assaulted them using rubber pipes and wood before taking them away in their boats, they said.
Three boats in which the fishermen had put out to sea returned here with the drivers. Normally Sri Lankan navalmen would arrest the fishermen along with their boats.
The fishermen, taken to Talaimannar in northern Sri Lanka, were later let off on the orders of local authorities, officials said adding the they were on their way back home.
Marine Police alleged that the Sri Lankan Navalmen intruded into the Indian waters near the fifth sand dune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly