9 TN fishermen detained by Lankan Navy, let off
Rameswaram: Nine fishermen from Tamil Nadu were set free by Sri Lankan authorities on Saturday within hours of being detained by the island Navy off Dhanushkodi near here, officials said.
The fishermen were fishing in Indian waters when the Sri Lankan naval men allegedly assaulted them using rubber pipes and wood before taking them away in their boats, they said.
Three boats in which the fishermen had put out to sea returned here with the drivers. Normally Sri Lankan navalmen would arrest the fishermen along with their boats.
The fishermen, taken to Talaimannar in northern Sri Lanka, were later let off on the orders of local authorities, officials said adding the they were on their way back home.
Marine Police alleged that the Sri Lankan Navalmen intruded into the Indian waters near the fifth sand dune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!