9 TN fishermen detained by Lankan Navy, let off
Rameswaram: Nine fishermen from Tamil Nadu were set free by Sri Lankan authorities on Saturday within hours of being detained by the island Navy off Dhanushkodi near here, officials said.
The fishermen were fishing in Indian waters when the Sri Lankan naval men allegedly assaulted them using rubber pipes and wood before taking them away in their boats, they said.
Three boats in which the fishermen had put out to sea returned here with the drivers. Normally Sri Lankan navalmen would arrest the fishermen along with their boats.
The fishermen, taken to Talaimannar in northern Sri Lanka, were later let off on the orders of local authorities, officials said adding the they were on their way back home.
Marine Police alleged that the Sri Lankan Navalmen intruded into the Indian waters near the fifth sand dune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!