Another DMDK functionary resigns from party, joins DMK
Chennai: A senior DMDK leader on Friday joined DMK, giving further jolt to the Vijayakant-led party whose seven MLAs have already shifted loyalty to ruling AIADMK.
DMDK Deputy General Secretary and former MP, S Austin, who had fallen out of favour with Vijayakant, joined DMK in the presence of party chief M Karunanidhi.
Austin was accompanied by over 50 other DMDK functionaries including district office-bearers, a DMK release said.
Austin, who had been initially with AIADMK, is a former Rajya Sabha MP and also an ex-MLA. He had resigned from DMDK, the main opposition party in the state Assembly, recently.
Though DMDK has 29 MLAs in the 234-member House, seven of the party MLAs had shifted loyalty to AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa. They had met her at different points of time seeking her help for constituency-related work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysis of Russia's nuclear threat to America
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption