Another DMDK functionary resigns from party, joins DMK
Chennai: A senior DMDK leader on Friday joined DMK, giving further jolt to the Vijayakant-led party whose seven MLAs have already shifted loyalty to ruling AIADMK.
DMDK Deputy General Secretary and former MP, S Austin, who had fallen out of favour with Vijayakant, joined DMK in the presence of party chief M Karunanidhi.
Austin was accompanied by over 50 other DMDK functionaries including district office-bearers, a DMK release said.
Austin, who had been initially with AIADMK, is a former Rajya Sabha MP and also an ex-MLA. He had resigned from DMDK, the main opposition party in the state Assembly, recently.
Though DMDK has 29 MLAs in the 234-member House, seven of the party MLAs had shifted loyalty to AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa. They had met her at different points of time seeking her help for constituency-related work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal