Another DMDK functionary resigns from party, joins DMK
Chennai: A senior DMDK leader on Friday joined DMK, giving further jolt to the Vijayakant-led party whose seven MLAs have already shifted loyalty to ruling AIADMK.
DMDK Deputy General Secretary and former MP, S Austin, who had fallen out of favour with Vijayakant, joined DMK in the presence of party chief M Karunanidhi.
Austin was accompanied by over 50 other DMDK functionaries including district office-bearers, a DMK release said.
Austin, who had been initially with AIADMK, is a former Rajya Sabha MP and also an ex-MLA. He had resigned from DMDK, the main opposition party in the state Assembly, recently.
Though DMDK has 29 MLAs in the 234-member House, seven of the party MLAs had shifted loyalty to AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa. They had met her at different points of time seeking her help for constituency-related work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report