Anti-nuke protesters threaten to picket KNPP
Tirunelveli: People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy, spearheading the agitation against Kundankulam Nuclear Power Plant on Sunday said its supporters would picket the plant if the Centre tries to "suddenly" commission it.
"Thousands of people including children will picket Kundankulam Nuclear Power Plant if the Centre makes efforts to suddenly commission it," movement coordinator S P Udhayakumar said in a statement here.
He said Minister of State in PMO V Narayanaswamy had openly admitted to problems in valves of the plant supplied by a Russian company and wondered how it could be so when it had been certified by reputed scientists.
He recalled the scientists as having stated that a seven-tier safety system is in place in the `state-of-the-art` plant. "But a minister himself says there are problems with the valves," Udayakumar said.
He said more than one month had elapsed after top Atomic Board officials stated that KNPP would be commissioned within 15 days.
"There should be some problem with the plant or they are trying to commission it suddenly. Any such efforts would be met with stiff resistance and people will picket the plant peacefully. The `jail bharo` agitation will be held throughout the state," he said in a statement.
Commercial operation of the 1000 MW first unit of the Indo-Russian project which has been delayed following anti-nuclear protests, is expected to commence this month.
The over 500-day long protest against KNPP, spearheaded by PMANE, citing safety concerns has largely contributed to delay in commissioning of the plant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31