AP to release 4 tmc ft of Krishna water to Chennai
Madurai: Chennai could well manage its summer water requirement with ease this year with the city all set to receive its share from Krishna river under an agreement with neighbouring Andhra Pradesh.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said that consequent to her writing to her Andhra Pradesh counterpart Kiran Kumar Reddy in March, the latter had promised release of four tmc ft during the summer starting May 20, 2012.
"The water released from Kandaleru reservoir will reach Tamil Nadu border on May 30. This will help meet Chennai`s water requirements during this year`s summer," she said in an official statement.
As per the original agreement inked between the two states, Andhra Pradesh has to provide 12 tmc ft of water every year to Tamil Nadu from the Kandaleru reservoir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Quran desecration case: AAP MLA Naresh Yadav sent to 2-day police custody
- Beijing dodges ASEAN rebuke over South China Sea row
- Afghan civilian casualties at record high in first half of 2016: UN
- Nepal likely to form consensus government within seven days of Oli resigning
- Hemant Soren complains against top police officer