Centre should check Karnataka water levels: Karunanidhi
Chennai: Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) president M Karunanidhi Friday said the central government has to find out whether there is water in Karnataka dams and take appropriate action.
Queried by reporters here about Karnataka`s stand that it would not release Cauvery river water to Tamil Nadu, Karunanidhi said: "Karnataka has explained its position. They say they do not have water. Finding out whether it is true or not is the duty of the central government."
Asked about the recent rail fare hike, Karunanidhi countered: "If the state government increases bus fares, could not the central government hike the rail fares?"
Karunanidhi said that the DMK would not support any price hike that affected the poor.
The former chief minister also said that he had not condemned the rail fare hike, and pointed out that in Tamil Nadu, bus fares were higher than the rail fares.
He also said he agreed with Tamil Nadu State Congress chief BS Gnanadesikan that without hiking fares, rail infrastructure could not be set up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened