`Centre should take immediate steps to get fishermen released`
Chennai: Slamming the Centre and Sri Lanka over the recent arrest of 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen, MDMK leader Vaiko on Monday asked New Delhi to take immediate steps to secure their release.
"While there had been numerous incidents of attacks and arrests of Tamil Nadu fishermen by the island nation`s Navy, the Manmohan Singh (led) government has not condemned the Sri Lankan government even once," Vaiko said in a statement here.
"The Centre`s failure to protect Tamil Nadu fishermen is a betrayal to not only them but to the people of the state," he said.
The Centre should take all efforts to secure the release of the fishermen, who were fishing near Katchatheevu, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket