`Centre should take immediate steps to get fishermen released`
Chennai: Slamming the Centre and Sri Lanka over the recent arrest of 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen, MDMK leader Vaiko on Monday asked New Delhi to take immediate steps to secure their release.
"While there had been numerous incidents of attacks and arrests of Tamil Nadu fishermen by the island nation`s Navy, the Manmohan Singh (led) government has not condemned the Sri Lankan government even once," Vaiko said in a statement here.
"The Centre`s failure to protect Tamil Nadu fishermen is a betrayal to not only them but to the people of the state," he said.
The Centre should take all efforts to secure the release of the fishermen, who were fishing near Katchatheevu, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145