`Centre should take immediate steps to get fishermen released`
Chennai: Slamming the Centre and Sri Lanka over the recent arrest of 23 Tamil Nadu fishermen, MDMK leader Vaiko on Monday asked New Delhi to take immediate steps to secure their release.
"While there had been numerous incidents of attacks and arrests of Tamil Nadu fishermen by the island nation`s Navy, the Manmohan Singh (led) government has not condemned the Sri Lankan government even once," Vaiko said in a statement here.
"The Centre`s failure to protect Tamil Nadu fishermen is a betrayal to not only them but to the people of the state," he said.
The Centre should take all efforts to secure the release of the fishermen, who were fishing near Katchatheevu, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon