Century old rail bridge damaged as barge collides
Rameswaram (TN): A century-old railway bridge near Pamban coast was damaged and rail link to Rameswaram was disrupted as a barge towing a naval ship, which had ran aground, drifted and collided with it on Sunday, officials said.
The accident occurred after authorities failed to pull the barge and the ship into deep waters, port officials said.
The new ship bound for Karwar in Karnataka ran aground on January 10 as it was being towed from Kolkata when strong winds swept them (ship and barge) close to the shores near the Pamban bridge connecting the island with mainland.
Railway officials said part of the railway line on the British era bridge was damaged, forcing them to terminate trains from Chennai and other places to Rameshwaram at Mandapam, 15 km from here.
The damage to the railway line was being assessed and it would take "some time" before it was repaired, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video