Century old rail bridge damaged as barge collides
Rameswaram (TN): A century-old railway bridge near Pamban coast was damaged and rail link to Rameswaram was disrupted as a barge towing a naval ship, which had ran aground, drifted and collided with it on Sunday, officials said.
The accident occurred after authorities failed to pull the barge and the ship into deep waters, port officials said.
The new ship bound for Karwar in Karnataka ran aground on January 10 as it was being towed from Kolkata when strong winds swept them (ship and barge) close to the shores near the Pamban bridge connecting the island with mainland.
Railway officials said part of the railway line on the British era bridge was damaged, forcing them to terminate trains from Chennai and other places to Rameshwaram at Mandapam, 15 km from here.
The damage to the railway line was being assessed and it would take "some time" before it was repaired, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you