Chidambaram hails TN for good economic condition
Sivaganga: Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Monday said that the "easy way" for people to understand economics was to study the transaction or usage of money in the country, as had been exemplified by Tamil Nadu, whose economy he averred was in good shape.
"People should understand economics. I will tell you an easy way to understand it. Money transaction/usage should be continuous in a country. It is good in Tamil Nadu and economic condition is also good in the state.
The remarks came after the finance minister had inaugurated two branches of Corporation Bank at Salaigramam and SR Pattinam in Sivaganga district.
Defending the taking of loans by people, Chidambaram said it was not a crime as, "People who have faith in the future get loans".
The minister said that the UPA government had taken various steps to improve the economy.
It was now easier for students and farmers to avail of loans, he said, adding that a total of Rs 54,000 crore had been given to 25 lakh students as loan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why