Civic authorities seals Karunanidhi’s grand-daughter`s building
Coimbatore: Civic authorities on Monday sealed a commercial complex owned by the granddaughter of DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi on the ground that it was an "illegal construction".
Officials of the Town Planning department sealed the two- storey building which housed a two-wheeler showroom, on the busy Avanashi Road, officials said.
They said the building owned by Poonkolali, Karunanidhi`s granddaughter, was constructed without securing a licence to build it.
However the owners rejected the contention and asserted that they have already obtained a stay from Madras High Court.
The City Corporation is currently on a drive to demolish and seal illegal buildings built in violation of rules and which have not adopted safety measures, following the death of four women in a major fire at a commercial complex on April 25.
The building owners, when contacted, termed the officials` action as "contempt of court".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information