CPI slams rail fare hike as `anti-people`
Chennai: Communist Party of India Wednesday slammed the government for its decision to increase rail fares, terming it as "anti-people".
"It is anti-people totally. When Government cannot control the price, it is taking steps to further inflate the prices of essential commodities," CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta told reporters here.
The government had already increased the prices of diesel, cooking gas, power and now the rail fare-hike, he said.
"It is a government which cannot perform.....", he said adding the CPI would demand reduction in the fare hike.
Ahead of the Budget, Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal today effected an across-the-board hike in fares of all classes from midnight of January 21 to net an additional Rs 6,600 crore a year, the first such increase in a decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter