CPI slams rail fare hike as `anti-people`
Chennai: Communist Party of India Wednesday slammed the government for its decision to increase rail fares, terming it as "anti-people".
"It is anti-people totally. When Government cannot control the price, it is taking steps to further inflate the prices of essential commodities," CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta told reporters here.
The government had already increased the prices of diesel, cooking gas, power and now the rail fare-hike, he said.
"It is a government which cannot perform.....", he said adding the CPI would demand reduction in the fare hike.
Ahead of the Budget, Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal today effected an across-the-board hike in fares of all classes from midnight of January 21 to net an additional Rs 6,600 crore a year, the first such increase in a decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH