CPI slams rail fare hike as `anti-people`
Chennai: Communist Party of India Wednesday slammed the government for its decision to increase rail fares, terming it as "anti-people".
"It is anti-people totally. When Government cannot control the price, it is taking steps to further inflate the prices of essential commodities," CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta told reporters here.
The government had already increased the prices of diesel, cooking gas, power and now the rail fare-hike, he said.
"It is a government which cannot perform.....", he said adding the CPI would demand reduction in the fare hike.
Ahead of the Budget, Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal today effected an across-the-board hike in fares of all classes from midnight of January 21 to net an additional Rs 6,600 crore a year, the first such increase in a decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi