Direction sought to TN govt, centre on steps to combat dengue
Madurai: A human rights organisation has filed a PIL in Madras High Court, seeking a direction to the Tamil Nadu Government and Union Government to eradicate dengue and provide compensation to those who died battling the fever.
Petitioner C anantharaj of Equal Rights, a Tirunelveli based organisation, said 30 persons had died of dengue in Tirunelveli, Kanyakumari, Virudhunagar and Madurai districts. In May, 23 persons were treated and another 40 were admitted in Intensive Care Units in hospitals.
In villages like Ambasamuthiram, Tenkasi and Nanguneri, dengue affected children could not be treated locally as the hospitals did not have adequate infrastructure, he said.
The Public Health Centre in Southern districts also did not have adequate facilities. Since 2001, 54 persons had died of dengue in Tamil Nadu, he said, adding the state accounted for one tenth of all dengue affected persons in india.
He pointed out that effective steps were taken in Delhi during an outbreak of dengue.
He said the health department should have joined hands with the local body to eradicate dengue. There should be nodal office to coordinate dengue prevention activities.
The petitioner said dengue deaths have risen alarmingly in Tirunelveli district, where one child had died each day in May. It was the duty of the government to eradicate it.
He also prayed for adequate infrastructure to all Primary Health Centres and government hospitals to diagnose and provide treatment for dengue and provision of funds to fight the disease.
Justice B Rajendran then ordered notice to the state and centre, seeking details about steps taken to fight dengue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi