Direction sought to TN govt, centre on steps to combat dengue
Madurai: A human rights organisation has filed a PIL in Madras High Court, seeking a direction to the Tamil Nadu Government and Union Government to eradicate dengue and provide compensation to those who died battling the fever.
Petitioner C anantharaj of Equal Rights, a Tirunelveli based organisation, said 30 persons had died of dengue in Tirunelveli, Kanyakumari, Virudhunagar and Madurai districts. In May, 23 persons were treated and another 40 were admitted in Intensive Care Units in hospitals.
In villages like Ambasamuthiram, Tenkasi and Nanguneri, dengue affected children could not be treated locally as the hospitals did not have adequate infrastructure, he said.
The Public Health Centre in Southern districts also did not have adequate facilities. Since 2001, 54 persons had died of dengue in Tamil Nadu, he said, adding the state accounted for one tenth of all dengue affected persons in india.
He pointed out that effective steps were taken in Delhi during an outbreak of dengue.
He said the health department should have joined hands with the local body to eradicate dengue. There should be nodal office to coordinate dengue prevention activities.
The petitioner said dengue deaths have risen alarmingly in Tirunelveli district, where one child had died each day in May. It was the duty of the government to eradicate it.
He also prayed for adequate infrastructure to all Primary Health Centres and government hospitals to diagnose and provide treatment for dengue and provision of funds to fight the disease.
Justice B Rajendran then ordered notice to the state and centre, seeking details about steps taken to fight dengue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya
- Nandita Das is a capable director: Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- 50 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan's Ghor