DMK MP conducts puja for Kanimozhi’s release
Chennai: DMK on Friday distanced itself from special puja reportedly conducted by its Rajya Sabha member for jailed MP Kanimozhi, terming it as a "unilateral act" which lacked the party`s consent.
"This unilateral act by Vasanthi Stanley did not have the party headquarters` consent. We like to clarify that the party is not connected to it in any way," DMK`s Organising Secretary TKS Elangovan, MP, said in a statement here referring to
reports in a section of media.
Stanley had reportedly conducted special pujas at a temple in Kancheepuram on Thursday, seeking the early release of Kanimozhi from jail even as the trial in the 2G spectrum allocation scam started today in a Delhi special court.
Kanimozhi, DMK supremo M Karunanidhi`s daughter, has been in Tihar Jail since her arrest in connection with the 2G case on May 20.
Rationalism is a stated policy of DMK and party chief M Karunanidhi had reprimanded some senior colleagues for offering prayers or involving themselves in religious activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble