DMK MP conducts puja for Kanimozhi’s release
Chennai: DMK on Friday distanced itself from special puja reportedly conducted by its Rajya Sabha member for jailed MP Kanimozhi, terming it as a "unilateral act" which lacked the party`s consent.
"This unilateral act by Vasanthi Stanley did not have the party headquarters` consent. We like to clarify that the party is not connected to it in any way," DMK`s Organising Secretary TKS Elangovan, MP, said in a statement here referring to
reports in a section of media.
Stanley had reportedly conducted special pujas at a temple in Kancheepuram on Thursday, seeking the early release of Kanimozhi from jail even as the trial in the 2G spectrum allocation scam started today in a Delhi special court.
Kanimozhi, DMK supremo M Karunanidhi`s daughter, has been in Tihar Jail since her arrest in connection with the 2G case on May 20.
Rationalism is a stated policy of DMK and party chief M Karunanidhi had reprimanded some senior colleagues for offering prayers or involving themselves in religious activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!