DMK MP conducts puja for Kanimozhi’s release
Chennai: DMK on Friday distanced itself from special puja reportedly conducted by its Rajya Sabha member for jailed MP Kanimozhi, terming it as a "unilateral act" which lacked the party`s consent.
"This unilateral act by Vasanthi Stanley did not have the party headquarters` consent. We like to clarify that the party is not connected to it in any way," DMK`s Organising Secretary TKS Elangovan, MP, said in a statement here referring to
reports in a section of media.
Stanley had reportedly conducted special pujas at a temple in Kancheepuram on Thursday, seeking the early release of Kanimozhi from jail even as the trial in the 2G spectrum allocation scam started today in a Delhi special court.
Kanimozhi, DMK supremo M Karunanidhi`s daughter, has been in Tihar Jail since her arrest in connection with the 2G case on May 20.
Rationalism is a stated policy of DMK and party chief M Karunanidhi had reprimanded some senior colleagues for offering prayers or involving themselves in religious activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman