DMK MPs oppose bill to repeal TNLC Act
New Delhi: DMK members on Tuesday created a ruckus in the Rajya Sabha when a bill to repeal the Tamil Nadu Legislative Council Act was introduced in the House.
DMK members trooped into the Well as soon as Law Minister Salman Khurshid piloted the Tamil Nadu Legislative Council (Repeal) Bill, 2012, which seeks to make consequential amendments in the Representation of the People Act, 1950 and the Representation of People Act, 1951.
Amid din, P J Kurien, who was in the Chair, adjourned the House was adjourned for 10 minutes.
The Tamil Nadu Legislative Council Act, 2010, was enacted by Parliament to provide for the creation of the Legislative Council of Tamil Nadu, in pursuance to the resolution passed by the Tamil Nadu Assembly on April 12, 2010.
However, before the Legislative Council could be constituted in accordance with the Act, the Tamil Nadu Assembly passed another resolution on June 7, 2011 to the effect that the decision to create the Legislative Council be withdrawn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose lived as KK Bhandari in 1960s?
- AIB's Tanmay Bhat blasted on Twitter for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar | WATCH his controversial video
- Sex machines - the future of `clean` prostitution?
- Rainy Monday morning in Delhi
- Woman allegedly raped by Nigerian national in Goa