DMK will contest polls with existing alliance parties: Karuna
Chennai: Dismissing media reports suggesting DMK would align with BJP, party chief M Karunanidhi Friday clarified that his party would contest the Lok Sabha polls with existing partners in the alliance.
Speaking after his son and party treasurer M K Stalin read out his speech, which said some journalists reported facts far from DMK`s official stand in the party General Council meeting on forming alliances, he said "The press should not twist facts to their fancy. This is not only regrettable but condemnable."
Asked if DMK would contest the polls alone, Karunanidhi said, "We already have some alliance parties. We will contest the polls with them - Muslim League, Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi, Manidhaneya Makkal Katchi and Puthiya Thamizhagam."
On Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi being made BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate,the DMK chief said he did not wish to say anything about it and pointed out that he had aired his remarks on DMK`s opinion on parties at the GC meeting.
"We have decided after analysing the pros and cons of all parties. Only on those lines should all general council and executive council members speak."
To a query on whether actor-turned politician Vijayakant`s DMDK would be there in his alliance,he said "Not known as yet."
Asked if CPI(M) would join DMK alliance, he quipped, "I don`t see a reason why they should not join."
On whether DMK would take efforts to form a third alliance in Tamil Nadu, he said, "We are closely watching the developments (in state and national politics)."
He also congratulated Aam Aaadmi Party for winning a considerable number of seats in Delhi Assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people