Elaborate security arrangements around KNPP
Tirunelveli (TN): Elaborate security arrangements, including deployment of Rapid Action Force and clamping of ban orders in a seven km radius, have been made by police in view of tomorrow`s picketing of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant announced by anti-nuclear activists.
Police said around 400 RAF personnel besides 2,000 state police personnel would be on security duty in view of the picketing call given by People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) as part of its intensified protest against the KNPP, which is set to be commissioned soon with the nod being given for loading of fuel in the first reactor.
They said Section 144 of CrPC has been promulgated in a seven km radius of Kudankulam and IG of POlice (South) Rajesh Doss and Tirunelveli DIG Varadaraj along with six Superintendent of Police would monitor the situation in and around Kudankulam.
RAF personnel would guard the main entrance of the KNPP and two entry points to the village.
The District Collector along with the Sub-Collector are camping in Kudankulam.
Meanwhile, fishermen in and around Kudankulam have been staying away from fishing for the past three days.
A member of the PMANE said the protesters would go ahead with their agitation even if the land routes are blocked and might take the sea route.
The first unit of KNPP, an Indo-Russian joint venture, was scheduled for commissioning in December last, but was bogged down by delay due to protests against the project.
Meanwhile, Tirunelveli District Collector R Selvaraj issued a notice to PMANE convenor S P Udayakumar, who is spearheading the anti-nuclear agitation, holding him responsible for any untoward incident tomorrow.
The Collector pointed out that prohibitory orders were in force and assembly of large number of people was in violation of the rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months