Fishermen demand separate ministry for fisheries welfare
Nagapattinam (TN): Fishermen in the district today demanded for setting up a separate Fisheries ministry in the Union Government.
They pressed for their demand to a team Tamil Nadu BJP leaders who met them as per the directions of the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi and Union Minister, Pon. Radhakrishnan to hear problems faced by the fishermen in the coastal areas of the state.
The team, headed by BJP`s state general secretary, Muruganandam visited various fishing hamlets in the district yesterday and today.
At Akkaraipettai and Keechankuppam hamlets, women members of fishermen families appealed for action to bring back the boats seized by the Lankan Navy during various incidents in recent years.
Other demands include supply of diesel at production cost, subsidy for purchase of fishing equipments and security for the lives of fishermen venturing into the sea.
Speaking to reporters later, Muruganandam said they will submit a report to the Union Minister Pon Radhankrishnan soon.
The Minister who will meet representatives of fishermen associations at Chennai on August 16 will submit a report to the Prime Minister explaining the steps to be taken to redress their grievances, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter