Fishermen demand separate ministry for fisheries welfare
Nagapattinam (TN): Fishermen in the district today demanded for setting up a separate Fisheries ministry in the Union Government.
They pressed for their demand to a team Tamil Nadu BJP leaders who met them as per the directions of the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi and Union Minister, Pon. Radhakrishnan to hear problems faced by the fishermen in the coastal areas of the state.
The team, headed by BJP`s state general secretary, Muruganandam visited various fishing hamlets in the district yesterday and today.
At Akkaraipettai and Keechankuppam hamlets, women members of fishermen families appealed for action to bring back the boats seized by the Lankan Navy during various incidents in recent years.
Other demands include supply of diesel at production cost, subsidy for purchase of fishing equipments and security for the lives of fishermen venturing into the sea.
Speaking to reporters later, Muruganandam said they will submit a report to the Union Minister Pon Radhankrishnan soon.
The Minister who will meet representatives of fishermen associations at Chennai on August 16 will submit a report to the Prime Minister explaining the steps to be taken to redress their grievances, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation
- DNA: Analysis of Mumbai's juvenile home sting operation - Part II
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- Puducherry polls: AINRCs first list of 21 candidates includes CM Rangasamy
- Chopper scam: Willing to come to India and face probe, says AgustaWestland middleman Christian James Michel
- Pro-Afzal event at JNU: Kanhaiya Kumar, others begin indefinite strike against punishment
- Meghalaya CM's wife, Sangma's son file nomination papers for Tura Lok Sabha bypoll
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM