Former DMK minister arrested in murder case
Madurai: Former DMK minister K K S S R
Ramachandran was on Tuesday arrested in connection with a murder
case in 2007, police said.
Cases under various IPC sections including 302 (murder)
and 201 (causing disappearance of evidence) have been
registered against him, they said.
Police said Lakshmanan, a postal official, was murdered by
Aruppukottai Union DMK secretary Sahul Hameed and Mariammal
(deceased`s wife) in Virudhunagar district for questioning
Hameed`s illicit relationship with her.
They had hit Lakshmanan with a torchlight in the head,
sources said. Then his body had been run over by a car, to
make it look as if it was an accidental death, police said.
Police did not arrest any person in connection with the
murder, allegedly due to the interference of the former
minister, they said.
When SP-in-charge Asra Garg enquired about the case, he
found the role of Hameed in the murder, and also the former
minister`s alleged role in hiding the fact, sources said.
Police had already arrested Hameed and Mariammal.
Ramachandran had already applied for anticipatory bail in
connection with the case.
Police, who were searching for him, had taken the former
minister`s son today for questioning about his father`s
whereabouts. Ramachandran had contacted the officials and
asked them not to harass his son and that he would present
A police team arrested him late this evening in
Virudhunagar district, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured