Fresh fire at Sivakasi, deaths reported
Sivakasi (TN): Three persons were on Friday charred to death and an equal number suffered burns in a fire mishap at an illegal cottage fireworks unit, barely three weeks after a devastating blaze in a cracker unit claimed 39 lives.
The mishap occurred at a cracker manufacturing unit in Vijayakarisalkulam near here, police said.
Today`s incident comes about three weeks after a major fire in a cracker unit at Mudhalipatti near Sivakasi, the country`s fireworks hub, claimed 39 lives.
Police said crackers were being made in a house without permission. The authorities have intensified checking of fireworks units for strict adherence to the government norms and guidelines following the September five fire.
As per rules, even storing chemicals used for manufacturing crackers was not allowed inside any house, official sources said.
The injured had been admitted to hospital, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'