Fresh fire at Sivakasi, deaths reported
Sivakasi (TN): Three persons were on Friday charred to death and an equal number suffered burns in a fire mishap at an illegal cottage fireworks unit, barely three weeks after a devastating blaze in a cracker unit claimed 39 lives.
The mishap occurred at a cracker manufacturing unit in Vijayakarisalkulam near here, police said.
Today`s incident comes about three weeks after a major fire in a cracker unit at Mudhalipatti near Sivakasi, the country`s fireworks hub, claimed 39 lives.
Police said crackers were being made in a house without permission. The authorities have intensified checking of fireworks units for strict adherence to the government norms and guidelines following the September five fire.
As per rules, even storing chemicals used for manufacturing crackers was not allowed inside any house, official sources said.
The injured had been admitted to hospital, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy