Fresh fire at Sivakasi, deaths reported
Sivakasi (TN): Three persons were on Friday charred to death and an equal number suffered burns in a fire mishap at an illegal cottage fireworks unit, barely three weeks after a devastating blaze in a cracker unit claimed 39 lives.
The mishap occurred at a cracker manufacturing unit in Vijayakarisalkulam near here, police said.
Today`s incident comes about three weeks after a major fire in a cracker unit at Mudhalipatti near Sivakasi, the country`s fireworks hub, claimed 39 lives.
Police said crackers were being made in a house without permission. The authorities have intensified checking of fireworks units for strict adherence to the government norms and guidelines following the September five fire.
As per rules, even storing chemicals used for manufacturing crackers was not allowed inside any house, official sources said.
The injured had been admitted to hospital, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city