HC orders notice on PIL
Chennai: The Madras High Court has ordered issue of notice to the Kancheepuram district administration, municipal and water supply officials on a PIL which alleged that two tenders were issued to complete work on the same project.
A Division Bench, comprising Justices Chitra Venkatraman and K B K Vasuki, directed Municipal Administration and Water Supply Department, Municipal Administration Commissioner, Kancheepuram Collector and Tambaram Municipal Commissioner to reply within two weeks.
The plea sought a direction to conduct a detail probe into the tender work conducted on the project between January 30, 2012 and January 31, 2013.
M Gnanasekaran of West Tambaram in his petition alleged that Tambaram Municipal Commissioner called for tenders for some works, which were almost completed in Arpudam Nagar. He submitted that the Commissioner called for tenders for the second time for the same work in Arpudam Nagar Pond, for which he sought information through RTI. He was yet to get a reply.
He further contended that for works exceeding Rs 25 lakh, the tender process should have been conducted by the Regional Director of the Municipality, whereas the present tender amounting to Rs 33.60 lakh was conducted by the Commissioner.
He also contended that the petition, which he had filed in High Court, was dismissed with the liberty to file a representation before the authorities concerned and he filed the present PIL as there was no response.
Gnanasekaran prayed for a direction to Municipal Administration Commissioner to conduct a detailed inquiry into the tender process and the works carried out.
He also prayed to appoint an interim administrator to look after the administration of Tambaram Municipality till the disposal of the petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration