HC orders notice on PIL
Chennai: The Madras High Court has ordered issue of notice to the Kancheepuram district administration, municipal and water supply officials on a PIL which alleged that two tenders were issued to complete work on the same project.
A Division Bench, comprising Justices Chitra Venkatraman and K B K Vasuki, directed Municipal Administration and Water Supply Department, Municipal Administration Commissioner, Kancheepuram Collector and Tambaram Municipal Commissioner to reply within two weeks.
The plea sought a direction to conduct a detail probe into the tender work conducted on the project between January 30, 2012 and January 31, 2013.
M Gnanasekaran of West Tambaram in his petition alleged that Tambaram Municipal Commissioner called for tenders for some works, which were almost completed in Arpudam Nagar. He submitted that the Commissioner called for tenders for the second time for the same work in Arpudam Nagar Pond, for which he sought information through RTI. He was yet to get a reply.
He further contended that for works exceeding Rs 25 lakh, the tender process should have been conducted by the Regional Director of the Municipality, whereas the present tender amounting to Rs 33.60 lakh was conducted by the Commissioner.
He also contended that the petition, which he had filed in High Court, was dismissed with the liberty to file a representation before the authorities concerned and he filed the present PIL as there was no response.
Gnanasekaran prayed for a direction to Municipal Administration Commissioner to conduct a detailed inquiry into the tender process and the works carried out.
He also prayed to appoint an interim administrator to look after the administration of Tambaram Municipality till the disposal of the petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire