Homage paid to 2004 tsunami victims in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Thursday paid homage to the thousands of people who were swallowed up by the killer tsunami wave of Dec 26, 2004.
The giant wave left a trail of destruction along the coastal areas in the state, wiping out lives, lifetime savings and properties, and leaving several hundred children orphans.
"At Nagapattinam, the worst affected district, a procession was held as a mark of respect and remembrance for the departed souls. Relatives of the dead paid homage at the places where their loved ones were buried," V. Kumaravelu, who was part of the procession, said.
Nagapattinam is around 300 km from the state capital. About 6,100 people from the district lost their lives in the 2004 tsunami.
In the state capital and in Tirunelveli district too, memorial services were held.
In Idinthakarai village in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here, a prayer meeting was held in the morning. People later walked in procession to the beach and paid homage to the dead, pouring milk into the sea in memory of the tsunami victims, said M. Pushparayan, an anti-nuclear activist who lives in the district.
Over 8,000 people were killed in Tamil Nadu by the tsunami.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you