Impress Sri Lanka against military action on TN fishermen: Jaya to PM
Chennai: Taking strong exception to the Centre`s "dismissive" attitude towards attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa today asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to impress upon the island nation in the strongest possible manner to discontinue such action.
Referring to two separate incidents yesterday in which 37 fishermen from Tamil Nadu were arrested by Lankan naval personnel, she contended the "meek and pusillanimous" response of the Centre to these repeated attacks had emboldened the Lankan Navy to mount more unprovoked attacks.
She also observed that this attitude towards Tamil fishermen was in stark contrast to the Centre`s response to the recent incident of firing on Gujarat fishermen.
"The government of India, it is learnt, rightly lost no time in conveying its stern response in the form of a summons to the Deputy High Commissioner of Pakistan to communicate its protest.
However, the continued insensitive and ham-handed treatment of the Tamil Nadu fishermen issue in the Palk Bay is fast alienating the fishermen community in Tamil Nadu who justifiably feel that they have been let down by their own national government," she said.
Alleging that abduction and detention for long periods in prison have multiplied as the Centre took little or no action to convey its strong protest, Jayalalithaa claimed none of her letters had evoked a substantive response from the Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!