Japanese aid agency appreciates TN Govt
Chennai: Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), which is funding various infrastructure projects in Tamil Nadu, today pledged its continued support for the state in taking up such projects.
JICA President Akihiko Tanaka gave the assurance during a meeting with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa at the secretariat in Chennai.
He appreciated the rapid implementation of many infrastructure projects by the Chief Minister and promised continued support for such projects in Tamil Nadu, an official release said.
Jayalalithaa thanked JICA for its full support and co-operation in the formulation of Tamil Nadu Investment Promotion Programme (TNIPP).
JICA is also assisting in Tamil Nadu Afforestation Project-II, Hogenakkal Water Supply and Fluorosis Mitigation Project, Tamil Nadu Urban Infrastructure Project, Tamil Nadu Biodiversity Conservation and Greening Project and Chennai Metro Rail Project.
With the agency`s assistance of Rs 3,410 crore, a new Tamil Nadu Transmission System Improvement Project was to be implemented this year, it said.
Jayalalithaa also pointed out that more than 400 Japanese companies have already invested in the state, while many more, including small and medium enterprises, were very keen to invest.
She indicated her happiness that this programme came in for special mention in the bilateral communiqué issued after the recent visit of the Prime Minister of India to Japan and looked forward to the early signing of the loan agreement.
She also expressed hope that JICA will consider partnering with the state government in implementing Chennai Waterways Restoration Project, components of State Highways Development Project, upgrading Urban Infrastructure in extended areas of the city and the Madurai-Tuticorin Industrial Corridor, for which "JICA could consider for financing in the next financial year," the release said.
Masataka Nakahara, Director General, South Asia Department of JICA and Masanori Nakano, Consul General of Japan, were also present during the meeting.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'