Jaya asks cadres to work for defeating DMK in LS polls
Chennai: Gearing her partymen for the general elections, AIADMK supremo and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday exhorted them to highlight "anti-people" attitude of DMK chief M Karunanidhi and propagate her government`s achievements to ensure a resounding win in the coming Lok Sabha polls.
In her message to party men on the eve of the 105th birth anniversary of Dravidian veteran and late Chief Minister CN Annadurai, she alleged Karunanidhi, considered a protégé of the leader, had compromised on principles that Annadurai had adopted to come to power.
She said Anna (as he is addressed by his followers) was credited with ending the Congress rule (in 1967) by adopting principles like regional autonomy and self-respect policies besides infusing the Tamil feeling among then youth.
He had strived for an egalitarian society and thus walked his unique path, ending the Congress rule, she said.
"Karunanidhi had compromised upon those very principles that Anna used to come to power. (He) has sacrificed Tamil Nadu`s rights and has surrendered before Congress for his own selfish measures," Jayalalithaa charged.
Karunanidhi`s "betrayals" include not ensuring notification of the final award of the Cauvery Tribunal in Central gazette, remaining "mum" on Mullaiperiyar issue and voting in favour of Congress-led UPA in FDI and Food Security Bill, both of which Jayalalithaa insists are against the interests of Tamil Nadu.
"On the occasion of the birth anniversary of Anna (falling tomorrow), I urge all my supporters to highlight the anti-people attitude of Karunanidhi in every nook and corner and spread AIADMK government`s achievements in its two years (in office) and transform them into votes so that DMK is made to bite the dust in the coming Lok Sabha elections," she said.
She heaped praises on Anna, calling him a multi-faceted personality.
Annadurai founded the DMK and led it to power in 1967. After his death in 1969, Karunanidhi took over as Chief Minister.
Charismatic actor-politician, M G Ramachandran (MGR) split with Karunanidhi and founded All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) in 1972, named after the veteran leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America