Jaya case: Emergent notices issued to Law Secy
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Monday ordered issue of emergent notices to the state government and others on petitions by Sasikala Natarajan and two others challenging appointment of the special judge here to try the wealth case against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in which they are co-accused.
Justice Mohan Shantanagoudar ordered notices to the Law Secretary, Registrar General of the High Court, Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-corruption (DVAC) and Presiding officer of the special court B M Mallikarjunaiah, the first respondent, when the petitions seeking a writ of quo warranto against the judge came up before him.
Petitioners Sasikala, V Sudhakaran and Illavarasi pleaded with the court to declare as "null and void" the appointment of Mallikarjunaiah as special judge.
The court then adjourned the matter to August 16.
While Sasikala was represented by Supreme Court advocate Shekhar Nadhade, V Sudhakaran was represented by senior counsel Jayakumar S Patil and Ilavarasi by senior counsel Uday Holla and A Asokan.
The petitioners had prayed that the court issue a writ of quo warranto against Mallikarjunaiah requiring him to show the appointment or notification by the government of Karnataka as a special judge presiding of the 36th Additional City Civil and Sessions Court Bangalore and consequently forbear him from functioning as a special judge and dealing with the case filed under the Prevention of Corruption (PC) Act.
On July 17, the special court had rejected the petitions filed by Jayalalithaa and the other three accused challenging the appointment of special judge to try the case under which she had been charged with amassing Rs 66.5 crore wealth disproportionate to her known sources of income between 1991 and 1995 when she was chief minister for the first time.
The case was transferred to Bangalore from Chennai by the Supreme Court on a petition by DMK General Secretary K Anbazhagan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...