Jaya hits out at Centre for not honouring veteran
Chennai: Ruing that Centre had not accepted her recommendation for conferring Padma awards on veteran Tamil film music composer duo Viswantahan-Ramamurthy, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Wednesday said, a day would come when she will have a stronger say in such matters, hinting at her role in national politics.
"I had recommended their names to the Central government for the Padma awards last year. But the Centre, which has adverse views against the state government, did not pay heed to that," she said at a felicitation function organised for the popular duo credited with producing numerous memorable musical numbers during their several decades long career.
Jayalalithaa, herself a former actor who had starred opposite veterans like M G Ramachandran and Sivaji Ganesan, said, it was "regrettable" that Viswanathan and Ramamurthy, hailed as the "Melody Kings" were yet to be awarded the country`s top honours though they had won several other accolades.
However, Jayalalithaa, who has of late been eyeing a bigger role for herself at the national level, said the time will come when she will have a stronger say in such matters.
"MSV (as 84-year Viswanathan is called in the industry) may say that he is content with the accolades given by the people; but a time will come when the awards will be given when I tell (recommend). That day, I will ensure they get Padma awards," she said.
The Chief Minister heaped praises on the musical duo, who ruled the Tamil film world with their evergreen tunes, at the felicitation which also marked the 14th anniversary celebrations of AIADMK-backed Jaya TV and attended by top Tamil stars Rajinikanth and Kamalhassan besides music director Ilayaraja.
She especially recalled that Viswanathan, who together with Ramamurthy had scored music for over 700 films, had been active in the field for over 50 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves