Jaya urges PM to stop Karnataka from work on check dams
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Monday sought the Centre`s intervention to immediately stop Karnataka from carrying out work on any check dams or diversion structures across Pennaiyar river.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, she said reports had suggested that the Karnataka government has constructed a diversion structure at Mugalur in Karnataka limits for diversion of water through a canal to feed Lakkur tank for irrigation.
"This act of Karnataka will affect the (water) flow in the river considerably and will severely affect the irrigation in Tamil Nadu depending upon the waters of the inter-state Pennaiyar river," she said.
Jayalalithaa urged the Prime Minister to advise the Karnataka government to stop any construction activity across the Pennaiyar immediately and not to venture upon any schemes in the river without the prior consent of Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi