Jaya urges PM to stop Karnataka from work on check dams
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Monday sought the Centre`s intervention to immediately stop Karnataka from carrying out work on any check dams or diversion structures across Pennaiyar river.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, she said reports had suggested that the Karnataka government has constructed a diversion structure at Mugalur in Karnataka limits for diversion of water through a canal to feed Lakkur tank for irrigation.
"This act of Karnataka will affect the (water) flow in the river considerably and will severely affect the irrigation in Tamil Nadu depending upon the waters of the inter-state Pennaiyar river," she said.
Jayalalithaa urged the Prime Minister to advise the Karnataka government to stop any construction activity across the Pennaiyar immediately and not to venture upon any schemes in the river without the prior consent of Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray