Jaya urges PM to stop Karnataka from work on check dams
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Monday sought the Centre`s intervention to immediately stop Karnataka from carrying out work on any check dams or diversion structures across Pennaiyar river.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, she said reports had suggested that the Karnataka government has constructed a diversion structure at Mugalur in Karnataka limits for diversion of water through a canal to feed Lakkur tank for irrigation.
"This act of Karnataka will affect the (water) flow in the river considerably and will severely affect the irrigation in Tamil Nadu depending upon the waters of the inter-state Pennaiyar river," she said.
Jayalalithaa urged the Prime Minister to advise the Karnataka government to stop any construction activity across the Pennaiyar immediately and not to venture upon any schemes in the river without the prior consent of Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users