Jayalalithaa to head 34-member government
Chennai: AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa will head a 34-member ministry after taking over as the chief minister of Tamil Nadu, an official statement said late Sunday.
Jayalalithaa will be sworn in Monday afternoon at the Madras University Centenary Hall here.
Governor SS Barnala Sunday approved the allocation of portfolios as recommended by the chief minister-designate.
At least 25 members of the cabinet are new faces.
Compared to the outgoing DMK government, the AIADMK government will have four ministers more.
Jayalalithaa will hold the home, police, general administration and prevention of corruption departments, among others.
Former chief minister O Pannerselvam has been allotted the finance portfolio while another senior leader, KA Sengottaiyan, gets agriculture.
Natham R Viswanathan will look after power, prohibition and excise.
Apart from Jayalalithaa, the AIADMK government will have two women ministers – S Gokula Indira (commercial taxes and registration) and Selvi Ramajayam (social welfare).
The following are other ministers and their portfolios
C Shanmugavelu – Industries
SS Krishnamoorthy – Food
C Karuppasamy - Animal husbandry
KP Munisamy - Municipal administration, rural development
R Vaithilingam - Housing and urban development
Sellur K Raju – Cooperation
P Palaniappan - Higher education
KT Pachamal – Forests
Edappadi K Palanisamy - Highways and minor ports
C Ve Shanmugam - School education
SP Velumani - Special programme implementation
TKM Chinnayya - Backward classes
MC Sampath - Rural industries
G Senthamizhan – Information
KV Ramalingam - Public works
SP Shanmuganathan - Hindu religious and charitable endowments
P Thangamani – Revenue
BV Ramanaa - Handlooms and textiles
RB Udhayakumar - Information and technology
N Subramanian - Adi dravidar and tribal welfare
VSenthil Balaji – Transport
N Mariyam Pichai – Environment
KA Jayapal – Fisheries
E Subaya - Law, courts and prisons
Budhichandhiran – Tourism
ST Chellapandian – Labour
VS Vijay – Health
NR Sivapathi - Sports and Youth Welfare
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!