Jayalalithaa to head 34-member government
Chennai: AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa will head a 34-member ministry after taking over as the chief minister of Tamil Nadu, an official statement said late Sunday.
Jayalalithaa will be sworn in Monday afternoon at the Madras University Centenary Hall here.
Governor SS Barnala Sunday approved the allocation of portfolios as recommended by the chief minister-designate.
At least 25 members of the cabinet are new faces.
Compared to the outgoing DMK government, the AIADMK government will have four ministers more.
Jayalalithaa will hold the home, police, general administration and prevention of corruption departments, among others.
Former chief minister O Pannerselvam has been allotted the finance portfolio while another senior leader, KA Sengottaiyan, gets agriculture.
Natham R Viswanathan will look after power, prohibition and excise.
Apart from Jayalalithaa, the AIADMK government will have two women ministers – S Gokula Indira (commercial taxes and registration) and Selvi Ramajayam (social welfare).
The following are other ministers and their portfolios
C Shanmugavelu – Industries
SS Krishnamoorthy – Food
C Karuppasamy - Animal husbandry
KP Munisamy - Municipal administration, rural development
R Vaithilingam - Housing and urban development
Sellur K Raju – Cooperation
P Palaniappan - Higher education
KT Pachamal – Forests
Edappadi K Palanisamy - Highways and minor ports
C Ve Shanmugam - School education
SP Velumani - Special programme implementation
TKM Chinnayya - Backward classes
MC Sampath - Rural industries
G Senthamizhan – Information
KV Ramalingam - Public works
SP Shanmuganathan - Hindu religious and charitable endowments
P Thangamani – Revenue
BV Ramanaa - Handlooms and textiles
RB Udhayakumar - Information and technology
N Subramanian - Adi dravidar and tribal welfare
VSenthil Balaji – Transport
N Mariyam Pichai – Environment
KA Jayapal – Fisheries
E Subaya - Law, courts and prisons
Budhichandhiran – Tourism
ST Chellapandian – Labour
VS Vijay – Health
NR Sivapathi - Sports and Youth Welfare
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3