Karunanidhi congratulates CJI designate Justice P Sathasivam
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi today congratulated Chief Justice of India designate Justice P Sathasivam for being the first judge from Tamil Nadu to be elevated to the top post of judiciary in the country.
"I wholeheartedly wish Justice Sathasivam. Like the way he earned reputation as judge of Madras High Court and later in the Supreme Court, I wish he continues to serve well as the Chief Justice of India bringing pride to Tamil Nadu and the Tamils," he said in a statement.
He also referred to Justice Sathasivam`s judgement in the `Samacheer Kalvi` (Tamil Nadu Uniform System of School Education) case, which was delivered against the Jayalalithaa government in 2011.
President Pranab Mukherjee has given his nod for the appointment of Sathasivam as the next Chief Justice of India.
64-year-old Sathasivam will take over as the 40th Chief Justice of India on July 19. He will have tenure till April 26, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini