Karunanidhi happy over Lokpal Bill, wants Lokayuktas in states
Chennai: Expressing joy over Parliament passing the Lokpal Bill, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday insisted that Lokayuktas be set up in all states.
"Happy over Lokpall bill being passed," he said.
The DMK president recalled that his government had proposed a similar legislation in 1973, covering the Chief Minister, Cabinet minsters, MLAs and members of Legislative Council, among others, and that it was adopted in both the then state Assembly and the upper House.
Its provisions included a probe by a sitting high court judge and upon conviction, the accused could be jailed for seven years, while the complainant could face upto three years` imprisonment if charges were proved wrong.
However, the subsequent AIADMK government cancelled the legislation in 1977 despite DMK`s opposition, he said.
"It gives happiness that a law (like the one) enacted by DMK has been passed by Parliament after 40 years. Following Lokpal, if Lokayuktas are also formed for states, the (desired) objective will be achieved, like that of the 1973 legislation," he said while responding to a set of questions in party mouthpiece `Murasoli.`
To a question on the reported remarks made by CPI-M state unit secretary G Ramakrishnan that his party would not align with DMK, Karunanidhi said "even we have not thought about aligning with them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly