Karunanidhi`s pep talk to cadres: `AIADMK too has lost polls`
Chennai: Seeking to enthuse party workers in the backdrop of electoral setbacks, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said victory or defeat does not determine a party`s growth and stressed that the ruling AIADMK too had lost polls.
"It cannot be forgotten that the ruling AIADMK lost deposit in a bypoll some years ago. They continued to run the party and hence victory or defeat does not determine a party`s growth," the 90-year old leader told party workers at the marriage of a party functionary here.
Apart from losing power to arch rival AIADMK in the 2011 Assembly Elections, the DMK faced a rout in this year`s Parliamentary polls drawing a blank. AIADMK won 37 out of the total 39 seats and the BJP and PMK one seat each.
Except "one or two political parties" in Tamil Nadu, parties that spring up anew are mostly "poster" parties, he said.
"Today, in Tamil Nadu politics, leaders who advertise themselves as Bheem in posters are mushrooming," he said.
Interestingly, supporters of DMDK founder president Vijayakanth hail him as "Captain”, reminding the "macho icon" image of him in Tamil film world during his heydays as an actor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family