Khurshid`s stay at resort draws ire of green activists
Udhagamandalam (TN): Drawing the ire of green activists, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid has reportedly stayed and celebrated New Year in a private resort, declared "illegal" and directed to be closed by court, in the Bokkapuram forest area coming under the elephant corridor.
The Madras High Court had directed many of the resorts in the region to be closed as they were located in the elephant corridor, following which the electric fencing was removed from area, some months back. However, the owners have approached the Supreme Court, where the case is pending.
The State Revenue department had arranged for Khurshid and his family`s stay at the State VIP Guest House in the Mudumalai Tiger Reserve as part of protocol but he preferred to stay at the resort "which was declared illegal and directed to be closed," by the Court, forest department sources said.
Environmentalists and green movement activists, including K Mohanraj, coordinator, Tamil Nadu Green Movement, condemned the stay, contending that it was violation of Forest Act and also Contempt of Court.
The resort, said to be owned by a relative of Khurshid, comes under Sigur Plateau, which has been notified as elephant corridor and "still a disputed and controversial site," Mohanraj said.
Meanwhile, Khurshid and the family after celebrating the new year, proceeded to a private guest house at Gudalur, about 70 km from here last night, sources said, adding, he later left for Bandipur in Karnataka.
The forest department had banned new year celebrations and bursting of crackers inside the area since the last 10 days, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!