Lawyers` fast demanding Tamil as court language enters 3rd day
Madurai: The fast by a group of lawyers at Madras High Court Bench premises, demanding that Tamil be made the official court language, entered the third day Wednesday.
Police said 13 law college students who blocked road traffic in front of the High Court were arrested. Traffic was diverted. In court, Judges were heard speaking in Tamil and lawyers putting forth their arguments in the language.
ADSP Mayilvahanan said Court Registrar Udhayan had given instructions that reporters not be allowed in the campus, leading to heated arguments. He also said they should function only from the press room and not come out of there and that only those with passes would be allowed in there.
However lawyers broke the door open and asked all reporters to come out, saying police have no authority in the court premises.
Udhayan said allowing photographers and TV n crew inside was causing `problems` to him and so he had instructed police not to allow them in. But there was no bar on regular pressmen from entering the court.
Doctors of the High court premises checked lawyers who were on fast,and said their condition was stable.
Law college student boycotted classes and staged demonstrations at various places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt