Low pressure area over coastal AP brings copious rain to TN
Chennai: A low pressure area over coastal Andhra Pradesh and adjoining West Central Bay of Bengal brought heavy overnight rains to northern districts of Tamil Nadu, prompting government to declare a holiday for educational institutions.
Schools and colleges in Chennai, Tiruvallur and Kancheepuram will remain closed on Wednesday due to heavy rains that continued late till morning.
In Vellore, holiday was declared only for schools even as managements have been asked to take suitable action to ensure students of Class XII attended the ongoing quarterly exams in these districts, officials said.
In Chennai, heavy rains lashed various parts of the city, inundating low-lying areas. Vehicles moved at snail`s pace in key roads such as the 100 Ft. Road where Metro Rail construction is also progressing.
Meanwhile, the Regional Meteorological Centre here forecast more rains for the next 24 hours, starting 08:30 hrs. A weather bulletin said rain or thundershowers would occur at many places over North Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
The weather office also forecast rain or thundershowers at many places over Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America