Men create ruckus at airport, seek release of detained passengers in TN
Chennai: The International Airport here witnessed a ruckus on Sunday when a group of 20 men demanded release of four passengers who were detained by customs authorities for allegedly smuggling gold from Singapore.
Four men--Peer Mohammed, Nainar Mohammed, Basheer and Kroshi--arrived here by an early morning flight from Singapore, police said.
When Nainar Mohammed noticed everyone being frisked and baggage checked, he allegedly threw 2.75 kg of gold onto a conveyor belt.
The gold was, however, recovered from the conveyor and seized, police said. Another consignment of 1.5 kg gold concealed in a rice cooker, allegedly brought by the four-member team, was also confiscated.
The two consignments together are valued at Rs 1.5 crore.
Even as a senior customs official was questioning them, a group of 20 men arrived in the customs enclosure, shouted slogans and demanded their immediate release.
They allegedly threatened the official with dire consequences and dispersed. Police, which was alerted, traced five of them to a neighbourhood near the airport.
They have been detained and are being questioned, police said, adding further investigations were on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened