Men create ruckus at airport, seek release of detained passengers in TN
Chennai: The International Airport here witnessed a ruckus on Sunday when a group of 20 men demanded release of four passengers who were detained by customs authorities for allegedly smuggling gold from Singapore.
Four men--Peer Mohammed, Nainar Mohammed, Basheer and Kroshi--arrived here by an early morning flight from Singapore, police said.
When Nainar Mohammed noticed everyone being frisked and baggage checked, he allegedly threw 2.75 kg of gold onto a conveyor belt.
The gold was, however, recovered from the conveyor and seized, police said. Another consignment of 1.5 kg gold concealed in a rice cooker, allegedly brought by the four-member team, was also confiscated.
The two consignments together are valued at Rs 1.5 crore.
Even as a senior customs official was questioning them, a group of 20 men arrived in the customs enclosure, shouted slogans and demanded their immediate release.
They allegedly threatened the official with dire consequences and dispersed. Police, which was alerted, traced five of them to a neighbourhood near the airport.
They have been detained and are being questioned, police said, adding further investigations were on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons