Mullaperiyar dam: Jayalalithaa thanks Centre for decision to constitute supervisory committee
Chennai: Thanking the Centre for its decision to constitute a Supervisory Committee to ensure increasing the height of Mullaperiyar dam and look into its safety aspects, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Wednesday appreciated Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the "prompt action".
"The decision of the Union Cabinet to constitute the Supervisory Committee will help mitigate the distress of the farmers in the five southern districts of Tamil Nadu dependent on Mullaiperiyar water. Your prompt action in this regard is deeply appreciated," she said in a letter to Modi late today.
Thanking the Prime Minister for his cabinet decision, she recalled having presented a memorandum to him during her June 3 meeting with him, where she had demanded constituting the committee as per the Supreme Court direction on the inter-state dispute involving Kerala.
The Union Cabinet chaired by Modi had approved the constitution of the three-member panel based on the directions of the Apex Court. According to the proposal, the supervisory committee will ensure increasing the full reserve level to 142 feet and look into the safety aspects of the over 100-year-old structure.
The court had directed setting up of the committee in May while holding the dam to be safe. It had allowed the Tamil Nadu government to raise the water level to 142 feet and ultimately to 152 feet after completion of strengthening measures on the dam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know