Nominations end for March 18 bypoll
Chennai: Nominations for the March 18 bypoll
for Sankarankoil (SC) ended Wednesday as a four-cornered contest
is in the offing with all Dravidian parties fielding their
The ruling AIADMK has fielded Sankarankoil Municipal
Chairperson V Muthuselvi, who faces competition from DMK`s
Jawahar Suryakumar and DMDK`s K Muthukumar.
MDMK is facing its first electoral contest since the April 2011 elections, which it had boycotted. Former legislator Dr Sadan Thirumalai Kumar is the party`s nominee.
BJP`s Murugan had also filed his nomination.
A total of 40 candidates have filed nominations which
will be taken up for scrutiny on March 1.
Counting of votes in the constituency, where the bypoll
has been necessitated following the death of AIADMK Minister C
Karuppasamy in October last, will be done on March 21.
The outcome of the election would not have any impact on
the Jayalalithaa government, which enjoys an unassailable
majority of 148 seats in the 234-member Assembly.
However, it is expected to reflect voters` opinion about
the eight-month-old AIADMK regime at a time when opposition
parties are confronting the government on issues like power
shortage and increase in price of milk and bus fares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai