Nominations end for March 18 bypoll
Chennai: Nominations for the March 18 bypoll
for Sankarankoil (SC) ended Wednesday as a four-cornered contest
is in the offing with all Dravidian parties fielding their
The ruling AIADMK has fielded Sankarankoil Municipal
Chairperson V Muthuselvi, who faces competition from DMK`s
Jawahar Suryakumar and DMDK`s K Muthukumar.
MDMK is facing its first electoral contest since the April 2011 elections, which it had boycotted. Former legislator Dr Sadan Thirumalai Kumar is the party`s nominee.
BJP`s Murugan had also filed his nomination.
A total of 40 candidates have filed nominations which
will be taken up for scrutiny on March 1.
Counting of votes in the constituency, where the bypoll
has been necessitated following the death of AIADMK Minister C
Karuppasamy in October last, will be done on March 21.
The outcome of the election would not have any impact on
the Jayalalithaa government, which enjoys an unassailable
majority of 148 seats in the 234-member Assembly.
However, it is expected to reflect voters` opinion about
the eight-month-old AIADMK regime at a time when opposition
parties are confronting the government on issues like power
shortage and increase in price of milk and bus fares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan