Nominations end for March 18 bypoll
Chennai: Nominations for the March 18 bypoll
for Sankarankoil (SC) ended Wednesday as a four-cornered contest
is in the offing with all Dravidian parties fielding their
The ruling AIADMK has fielded Sankarankoil Municipal
Chairperson V Muthuselvi, who faces competition from DMK`s
Jawahar Suryakumar and DMDK`s K Muthukumar.
MDMK is facing its first electoral contest since the April 2011 elections, which it had boycotted. Former legislator Dr Sadan Thirumalai Kumar is the party`s nominee.
BJP`s Murugan had also filed his nomination.
A total of 40 candidates have filed nominations which
will be taken up for scrutiny on March 1.
Counting of votes in the constituency, where the bypoll
has been necessitated following the death of AIADMK Minister C
Karuppasamy in October last, will be done on March 21.
The outcome of the election would not have any impact on
the Jayalalithaa government, which enjoys an unassailable
majority of 148 seats in the 234-member Assembly.
However, it is expected to reflect voters` opinion about
the eight-month-old AIADMK regime at a time when opposition
parties are confronting the government on issues like power
shortage and increase in price of milk and bus fares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Here's a docu-fiction on the journey of 'Sultan'! Watch video
- Vodafone tax case: HC allows penalty proceedings to go on
- EU leaders meet without Cameron over Brexit vote
- Gareth Southgate set to become the new England manager on temporary basis
- Jumbo takes flight! Eight key quotes from Anil Kumble's first press conference as India coach