Nothing in Setusamudram project that could offend Hindus: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi, who had made controversial remarks in the context of the Sethusamudram project that involves dredging of the Ram Sethu or Adams Bridge, on Monday claimed there was nothing that could offend Hindus and slammed opponents of the venture.
In a letter to partymen titled, The Sethusamduram Shipping Channel project that does not offend Hindus, the 88-year-old leader slammed opposition to the Rs 2400 crore project, saying it was basically to prevent DMK from taking credit.
Union Culture Minister Ambika Soni had informed Parliament that there was no archaeological proof that a bridge existed there, he said.
Sethusamudram Shipping Channel Environmental Monitoring Committee chief S Kannayan had made similar comments in 2007, Karunanidhi recalled.
Then Union Shipping Minister TR Baalu had also scotched reports that NASA had released satellite pictures of `Ram Sethu` and that the matter itself had been taken up with the space agency though it had not responded, he said.
"In an interview at Ramanathapuram, Baalu had said that the Ram Sethu issue was raised for getting Hindu votes. There were no proof of any such bridge following drilling tests at 81 sites. We are particular that Hindus’ sentiments should not be hurt. There is scientific proof for that. We had shown them to Hindu Saints in Delhi and they had accepted them," Karunanidhi said, recalling Baalu’s words.
Responding to those opposed to dredging of the Ram Sethu on the grounds that it was constructed by Lord Ram to cross over to Sri Lanka, Karunanidhi had earned widespread criticism a few years ago for his comments including asking whether Lord Ram was an engineer from any technical institution to have constructed a bridge. Many Hindu outfits had slammed him for his comments.
Slamming the Jayalalithaa Government for opposing the project, DMK had announced state-wide public meetings on May 15 to press the Centre for completing the project speedily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read