Party feuds give sleepless nights: Karunanidhi
Chennai: Upset over internal rivalry among party leaders, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Monday said such factional feuds made him "sleepless" as these affected the party.
"When I go to sleep, such factional feuds engulf me and makes me sleepless," he said, referring to the turf war between DMK leaders T R Baalu and S S Palanimanickam, a Minister of State for Finance.
Palanimanickam, who represents Thanjavur parliamentary constituency said on Saturday that Baalu was trying to take credit for projects in his constituency.
The 47-km Thanjavur-Pattukottai railway line and the 42-km Mannargudi-Pattukottai rail project, for which a survey is being conducted, appear to have become the bone of contention between Palanimanickam and Baalu, who is also Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Railways.
Noting that Palanimanickam had met him two days ago and explained to him what was happening in his constituency, Karunanidhi said he had advised him to give it in writing to the party leadership.
"What is the hurry? Why this interview? What am I here for? Why do we have a party leadership?" 89-year-old Karunanidhi asked, apparently pulling up Palanimanickam, who openly aired his feelings in Thanjavur.
In an emotional letter to the cadres, in the party organ `Murasoli,` Karunanidhi asked, "What can the party cadre do except shed tears in blood, when two senior leaders enjoying party positions fight in the open?"
The DMK chief said Palanimanickam had called on him and other senior leaders here last night to explain the reasons behind making such statements to the media. Karunanidhi said party cadres should maintain discipline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes