Party feuds give sleepless nights: Karunanidhi
Chennai: Upset over internal rivalry among party leaders, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Monday said such factional feuds made him "sleepless" as these affected the party.
"When I go to sleep, such factional feuds engulf me and makes me sleepless," he said, referring to the turf war between DMK leaders T R Baalu and S S Palanimanickam, a Minister of State for Finance.
Palanimanickam, who represents Thanjavur parliamentary constituency said on Saturday that Baalu was trying to take credit for projects in his constituency.
The 47-km Thanjavur-Pattukottai railway line and the 42-km Mannargudi-Pattukottai rail project, for which a survey is being conducted, appear to have become the bone of contention between Palanimanickam and Baalu, who is also Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Railways.
Noting that Palanimanickam had met him two days ago and explained to him what was happening in his constituency, Karunanidhi said he had advised him to give it in writing to the party leadership.
"What is the hurry? Why this interview? What am I here for? Why do we have a party leadership?" 89-year-old Karunanidhi asked, apparently pulling up Palanimanickam, who openly aired his feelings in Thanjavur.
In an emotional letter to the cadres, in the party organ `Murasoli,` Karunanidhi asked, "What can the party cadre do except shed tears in blood, when two senior leaders enjoying party positions fight in the open?"
The DMK chief said Palanimanickam had called on him and other senior leaders here last night to explain the reasons behind making such statements to the media. Karunanidhi said party cadres should maintain discipline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui