PIL filed in HC on farmers` suicides in three Tamil Nadu districts
Chennai: A PIL has been filed in Madras High Court seeking to direct Collectors of Nagapattinam, Tiruvarur and Thanjavur districts to file a status report on reported farmer suicides in these regions and to issue 300 grams of rice per head and per day to farmers in the areas immediately.
`Elephant` G Rajendran, in his PIL, cited recent media reports on farmer suicides in the three Cauvery delta districts, allegedly due to failure of crops for want of water.
He also prayed for High Court`s direction to authorities to pay a minimum of Rs 20 lakh and a government job to family of those who committed suicide, the government to pay Rs 25000 per acre to farmers and to distribute 300 grams of rice per head per day free of cost for six months to farmers in these three districts.
When the matter came up, the First Bench, comprising Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam, said, "before entertaining this PIL, we wish to hear the Advocate General in this matter."
The bench posted the matter for the first week of January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok