PIL filed in HC on farmers` suicides in three Tamil Nadu districts
Chennai: A PIL has been filed in Madras High Court seeking to direct Collectors of Nagapattinam, Tiruvarur and Thanjavur districts to file a status report on reported farmer suicides in these regions and to issue 300 grams of rice per head and per day to farmers in the areas immediately.
`Elephant` G Rajendran, in his PIL, cited recent media reports on farmer suicides in the three Cauvery delta districts, allegedly due to failure of crops for want of water.
He also prayed for High Court`s direction to authorities to pay a minimum of Rs 20 lakh and a government job to family of those who committed suicide, the government to pay Rs 25000 per acre to farmers and to distribute 300 grams of rice per head per day free of cost for six months to farmers in these three districts.
When the matter came up, the First Bench, comprising Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam, said, "before entertaining this PIL, we wish to hear the Advocate General in this matter."
The bench posted the matter for the first week of January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!