Plea against Madurai Adheenam head posted to Nov 9
Madurai: A court Tuesday posted to November 9 for hearing a case filed by Tamil Nadu government seeking removal of the head of a 1,500-year old Saivaite mutt, who recently sacked the controversial appointment of self-styled godman Nithyananda as his junior.
Principal Sub-Court court judge Gurviah posted the hearing to November 9 after counsel for Madurai Adheenam submitted that they have already sacked Nithyananda.
The counsel said that the trust formed by the Adheeenam had also been dissolved. The sub-court could not take up the case as another petition filed by Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowment opposing Nithyananda`s appointment holding it violated rules and mutt traditions was pending before the Madras High Court.
The Adheenam had on October 19 sacked Nithyananda, an appointment which had attracted widespread condemnation from various quarters including the Tamil Nadu Government.
Sri Arunagirinathar, the 292nd head of Madurai Adheenam, who had named Nithyananda as his successor to the highly revered mutt in April last, removed him as pressure mounted from the state government and other Hindu mutts and outfits besides devotees against the appointment.
The appointment was opposed on the ground that he was unfit for the post as he faced serious criminal charges including rape in Karnataka where his ashram near Bangalore was recently embroiled in a controversy after a US-based woman and some others alleged sexual exploitation, a charge he has denied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport