Police raid residences of relatives of PRP exports
Madurai: Police on Wednesday raided the residences of family members of the owner of PRP exports and granites who was arrested in connection with the illegal granite quarrying scam.
Searches were conducted at seven different places in Madurai, officials said.
The company is facing criminal proceedings in the multi-crore scam.
Police had registered cases against the owner P R Palanisamy, his wife, two sons and three relatives for alleged illegal quarrying, encroaching on water sources and destroying them, causing crores of rupees loss to the exchequer.
The Madras High court had already granted Palanisamy and his partners bail in 15 of the 33 cases and anticipatory bail in the rest.
The Tamil Nadu Government cracked down on some firms after former Madurai collector U Sahayam in a report last year estimated losses incurred from illegal granite mining at around Rs 16,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24