Police raid residences of relatives of PRP exports
Madurai: Police on Wednesday raided the residences of family members of the owner of PRP exports and granites who was arrested in connection with the illegal granite quarrying scam.
Searches were conducted at seven different places in Madurai, officials said.
The company is facing criminal proceedings in the multi-crore scam.
Police had registered cases against the owner P R Palanisamy, his wife, two sons and three relatives for alleged illegal quarrying, encroaching on water sources and destroying them, causing crores of rupees loss to the exchequer.
The Madras High court had already granted Palanisamy and his partners bail in 15 of the 33 cases and anticipatory bail in the rest.
The Tamil Nadu Government cracked down on some firms after former Madurai collector U Sahayam in a report last year estimated losses incurred from illegal granite mining at around Rs 16,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users