Police raid residences of relatives of PRP exports
Madurai: Police on Wednesday raided the residences of family members of the owner of PRP exports and granites who was arrested in connection with the illegal granite quarrying scam.
Searches were conducted at seven different places in Madurai, officials said.
The company is facing criminal proceedings in the multi-crore scam.
Police had registered cases against the owner P R Palanisamy, his wife, two sons and three relatives for alleged illegal quarrying, encroaching on water sources and destroying them, causing crores of rupees loss to the exchequer.
The Madras High court had already granted Palanisamy and his partners bail in 15 of the 33 cases and anticipatory bail in the rest.
The Tamil Nadu Government cracked down on some firms after former Madurai collector U Sahayam in a report last year estimated losses incurred from illegal granite mining at around Rs 16,000 crore.
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state