Police raid residences of relatives of PRP exports
Madurai: Police on Wednesday raided the residences of family members of the owner of PRP exports and granites who was arrested in connection with the illegal granite quarrying scam.
Searches were conducted at seven different places in Madurai, officials said.
The company is facing criminal proceedings in the multi-crore scam.
Police had registered cases against the owner P R Palanisamy, his wife, two sons and three relatives for alleged illegal quarrying, encroaching on water sources and destroying them, causing crores of rupees loss to the exchequer.
The Madras High court had already granted Palanisamy and his partners bail in 15 of the 33 cases and anticipatory bail in the rest.
The Tamil Nadu Government cracked down on some firms after former Madurai collector U Sahayam in a report last year estimated losses incurred from illegal granite mining at around Rs 16,000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner