Rape victim to contest for village president post
Dharmapuri (Tamil Nadu): To wipe out the bad name brought to Vachathi village by atrocities committed on tribals by officials nearly two decades ago, a woman rape victim has decided to contest for the village president post.
The 36-year-old woman will contest from P Thathampatti, which comprises Vachathi, Mallakuttai, Malagappadi, T Pudur and Kookudappatti hamelts.
Soon after the September 29 special court verdict sentencing 215 men from police, forest and revenue department to jail terms ranging from one to 10 years for atrocities on tribals during a raid for smuggled sandalwood on the village, villagers unanimously decided to field her to the post.
A total of about 4,800 electorate would cast their votes for the poll, in which three more ladies from P Thatahampatti village in the fray.
Harur CPI(M) MLA P Dillybabu said rape victims are campaigning in villages which come under P Thathampatti panchayat to gather support for the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players