Rape victim to contest for village president post
Dharmapuri (Tamil Nadu): To wipe out the bad name brought to Vachathi village by atrocities committed on tribals by officials nearly two decades ago, a woman rape victim has decided to contest for the village president post.
The 36-year-old woman will contest from P Thathampatti, which comprises Vachathi, Mallakuttai, Malagappadi, T Pudur and Kookudappatti hamelts.
Soon after the September 29 special court verdict sentencing 215 men from police, forest and revenue department to jail terms ranging from one to 10 years for atrocities on tribals during a raid for smuggled sandalwood on the village, villagers unanimously decided to field her to the post.
A total of about 4,800 electorate would cast their votes for the poll, in which three more ladies from P Thatahampatti village in the fray.
Harur CPI(M) MLA P Dillybabu said rape victims are campaigning in villages which come under P Thathampatti panchayat to gather support for the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest