Rape victim to contest for village president post
Dharmapuri (Tamil Nadu): To wipe out the bad name brought to Vachathi village by atrocities committed on tribals by officials nearly two decades ago, a woman rape victim has decided to contest for the village president post.
The 36-year-old woman will contest from P Thathampatti, which comprises Vachathi, Mallakuttai, Malagappadi, T Pudur and Kookudappatti hamelts.
Soon after the September 29 special court verdict sentencing 215 men from police, forest and revenue department to jail terms ranging from one to 10 years for atrocities on tribals during a raid for smuggled sandalwood on the village, villagers unanimously decided to field her to the post.
A total of about 4,800 electorate would cast their votes for the poll, in which three more ladies from P Thatahampatti village in the fray.
Harur CPI(M) MLA P Dillybabu said rape victims are campaigning in villages which come under P Thathampatti panchayat to gather support for the woman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'